mmccarthy

List Lover

I love reading and have always favored science fiction; especially hard sci-fi, aliens, bio-anthro themes, horror, space opera, and philosophical and cosmological themes. I will take the time to read great books in almost any genre.

Edge of Infinity
Stephen Baxter, Gwyneth Jones, Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Bruce Sterling, Pat Cadigan, Sandra McDonald, Jonathan Strahan, Paul J. McAuley, Elizabeth Bear, Alastair Reynolds, Hannu Rajaniemi, John Barnes, James S.A. Corey, An Owomoyela, Stephen D. Covey
Blue Remembered Earth
Alastair Reynolds
Books of Blood, Vols. 1-3
Clive Barker
The New Weird
Ann VanderMeer, Jeff VanderMeer
Jack Glass: The Story of A Murderer (Golden Age)
Adam Roberts
Use of Weapons
Iain M. Banks
Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic
David Quammen
Centennial
James A. Michener
In Fifty Years We'll All Be Chicks: . . . And Other Complaints from an Angry Middle-Aged White Guy - Adam Carolla Wow, this really kills me. I've been an Adam Carolla fan for so long and I hate to do this. But I had to stop listening to the audio version of this book once Adam declared "Men are smarter than women" and then proceeded to try to support this absurd idea.

I am just tired of "us against them" thinking, bias, and prejudice.

I am a woman and I am smarter than Adam Carolla. I challenge him to a "smart" duel any time.

I think he is very smart. But he's not smart enough to be aware of his blindness to his own prejudices. Men are not smarter than women just like caucasians are no smarter than blacks and asians are no smarter than hispanics. These generalizations are ridiculous. For one thing, anyone who thinks long enough about these ideas will conclude that they are ridiculous. And anyone who claims such things is not smart himself or herself.

Now, I would agree that men (certainly white men) have more power than women. Hence, you will see more men in power positions. Someone who doesn't think the whole thing through could conclude: Those powerful men who are so famous and smart, they are proof that men are smarter. However, I have worked (mostly in hi-tech) with thousands of men and women, blacks, whites, asians, gays, straights, muslims, hindus, christians, blah, blah, blah. It doesn't matter how any of these people present, the people who are smartest show up in all forms equally. The power does not show up equally however and that is what is distracting.

I think Adam is hilarious and has helped a lot of people on Loveline, but today I have just had enough of all the prejudice.