mmccarthy

List Lover

I love reading and have always favored science fiction; especially hard sci-fi, aliens, bio-anthro themes, horror, space opera, and philosophical and cosmological themes. I will take the time to read great books in almost any genre.

Edge of Infinity
Stephen Baxter, Gwyneth Jones, Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Bruce Sterling, Pat Cadigan, Sandra McDonald, Jonathan Strahan, Paul J. McAuley, Elizabeth Bear, Alastair Reynolds, Hannu Rajaniemi, John Barnes, James S.A. Corey, An Owomoyela, Stephen D. Covey
Blue Remembered Earth
Alastair Reynolds
Books of Blood, Vols. 1-3
Clive Barker
The New Weird
Ann VanderMeer, Jeff VanderMeer
Jack Glass: The Story of A Murderer (Golden Age)
Adam Roberts
Use of Weapons
Iain M. Banks
Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic
David Quammen
Centennial
James A. Michener
Perdido Street Station - China Miéville Ah, this book is a messy quilt of genres. It is about a city that is a messy quilt of species, cultures, and environments and one of the characters is a walking messy quilt of random multi-specie body parts. Fractals, yet never using the word fractal.

Mieville easily gets away with many things in this book that I would complain about if attempted by someone else. The execution is so perfect, I feel honored to read it.

And just when I think I get where he's going, he punches me in the face with another cool thing.

Art is about something new and appropriate for the time. That is exactly what this book was and is.